The Solitary Bee Hive is well-constructed in durable, FSC certified timber with stacking trays which can be opened for observation and cleaning.
Give a home to these fantastic pollinators and they'll soon be helping to increase flower, fruit and vegetable yields.
Naturally attracted to holes in wood, the hole sizes are precisely specified to attract non-swarming solitary bees like the Red Mason (one can be the equivalent of 120 worker honeybees in the pollination it provides), and the Leafcutter. These friendly bees are industrious and safe around children and pets.
Fascinating to see and great for education, the beehive trays can be carefully separated to view the formation of small cells where the eggs are laid, or indeed where predators have been active.
Don't forget to sow and plant bee-friendly flowers to encourage more of these super garden helpers!
- Site in a sunny position facing south to south-east to catch some morning sun.
- Mounting height between ground level and 1.5m.
- Made from durable FSC certified timber.
- Stacking trays may be inspected after bee activity has ceased (autumn/winter)
- Protect full bee tubes with mesh to prevent predation by woodpeckers.
Size: H 20cm x W 18cm x D 16cm. Weight: 1.5kg.
Solitary Bee Fact: Wool carder bees get their name from their practise of collecting hairs from plant leaves and stems to build the cells within their nests. Help them by planting Mullein (Verbascum) and Lamb's Ears (Stachys).